Programme





Activities and Timetable of the Competition

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 19th 2019

11:00 – 18:00: Welcome and registration of the Choirs (Theatre Galli)

15:00: Choral Competition (Class E – Sacred Music – Church of Santa Maria dei Servi)

21:00: First non-competitive Concert for choirs class D and E (Theatre Galli)

 

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 20th 2019

Morning and Afternoon: Welcome and registration of the Choirs (Theatre Galli)

10:30: Choral Competition (Class A – Equal Voices Choirs – Theatre Galli)

15:00: Choral Competition (Class D – Folk, Gospel, Spiritual – Theatre Galli)

21:00: Second non-competitive Concert for choirs classes A and C (Theatre Galli)

 

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 21st 2019

9:30: Choral Competition (Class C – Children and Youth Choirs – Theatre Galli)

17:30: Sung Service at the Rimini Cathedral

21:00: Additional Concert in Riccione, for three selected choirs from ‘Children and Youth Choirs Category’

21:00: Third non-competitive Concert for choirs class B (Theatre Galli)

 

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 22nd 2019

9:30: Choral Competition (Class B – Mixed Choirs – Theatre Galli)

17:30: Social party and meeting with the Jury (Conductors and 2 representatives of each choir)

21:00: Choral Competition (Class X – Grand Prix) – Awarding and Closing Ceremony – Theatre Galli

 

The ‘secular venue’ of the Competition Teatro Amintore Galli – Map – Piazza Cavour – Rimini 

Teatro Amintore Galli is the Municipal Theatre of Rimini. The construction began in 1843 and it was opened in 1857 with the opera “Aroldo” by Giuseppe Verdi. In the origine the theatre was called “Teatro Nuovo” (the New Theatre) and it changed name in 1859 to Teatro Vittorio Emanuele II. Only later, in 1947, it was entitled to the composer Amintore Galli (1845-1919). The project (1841-43) was signed by Luigi Poletti, who was an architect and engineer of the Papal States. The six originale tables of the project, which he submitted 29th January 1842 in Rimini, were lost during the earthquake 1916. However, there are 6 photographs (by Luigi Perilli) dating back to 1900 and five watercolor drawings of the original design. The last performance of the original theatre dates back to the spring 1943 because, afterwards, much of the building was destroyed by the Second World War bombings. The apse and the roof were collapsed, and about 90 percent of the auditorium and the stage were destroyed. The only part that remained almost undamaged is the foyer. Luigi Poletti designed the Municipal Theatre of Rimini as a temple of music. He was inspired by the solemnity and magnificence of Roman temples and proposed a innovative style; a monumental building in a classic architecture (greek-roman), which distinguished the theatre from others in Europe in that period. The auditorium with the stage and the gallery contained more than a thousand seats. If a restoration was partly realized between 1997 and 2001, in 2010 the Municipality has programmed a complete reconstruction of the theatre remaining as much as possible faithful to the original scheme although respecting the new security rules. The restoration project and the philological and typological study of the theatre are under the Supervision of the regional Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage and Cultural Activities of Emilia Romagna. The restoration works, started in 2014, reached the first important step on 17th September 2015 with the opening of the foyer of the theatre. On the occasion, after 158 years, the piano played by Giuseppe Verdi during the opening of the Theatre Galli in August 1857, came back to Rimini and once again was played during the opening cerimony. On October 28, 2018 the Galli theater reopened its doors after 75 years and it is ready to become again the place of great music. The restoration work have provided an exceptional opportunity for Archaeological excavations that have affected the areas below the auditorium, the orchestra pit, the stage and the side rooms that overlook the square and via Poletti. Owing to of the important archaeological finds, now the restoration project also includes the enhancement of part of the structures found underneath the pit and a multimedia museum.

 

Sung Service at the Church of St. Agostino – Map

The first 10 Choirs selecting this option as one of the activities on the entry form may sing all together a Mass at the Church of St. Agostino, directed by Andrea Angelini, on Saturday afternoon 21st September 2019 at 16:30. The repertoire and the music scores of the programme is available here. The Sung Service at the Church of St. Agostino is one of the most intensive moment of the Competition. This church is worth visiting for various reasons; the architecture of the large auditorium was transformed with precious stuccoes, ancones and frescoes in the 17th and 18th centuries, although the general structure and its tall bell tower date from the 13th century.Furthermore, the apsidal part houses two wonderful cycles of frescoes by the “14th-century School of Rimini”. The bell tower chapel narrates the life of the Virgin Mary and the apse the life of John the Evangelist, whilst on the far end wall there is a mighty Enthroned Christ and a majestic and gentle Virgin with Child. The decorations in this church, probably by 14th-century Rimini-based artists, perhaps the brothers Giovanni, Giuliano and Zangolo, active in the early decades of the century, also include a Crucifix painted on a wood panel, now on the right wall of the nave and a large, fragmented fresco of the Last Judgement, now housed in the Municipal Museum.By ideally reuniting and positioning these works we have an idea of the “educational” and catechetical function those responsible for creating them and those who commissioned them sought to achieve and the spirituality of the message transmitted through the painted figures.

activities

 

The ‘sacred venue’ of the Competition Church of St.a Maria of Servi – Map – Piazzetta dei Servi 1 – Rimini

At the beginning of the XIV century the Malatesta family donated some properties within the city of Rimini to the Servants of Mary who built a first chapel. A few years later the friars decided to expand their church by building a larger one, of which today you can see the side along the main street, Corso d’Augusto. The church was a single nave, inside there were numerous altars and works of art, the apse area was characterized by three chapels with the central one of greater dimensions. The right side chapel had been built by the noble family of the Agolanti, to whom we owe the coat of arms in a pilaster on the side of the church, of the mid-fourteenth century. Between 1774 and 1777 the church and the convent were renovated according to a design by the Bolognese architect Gaetano Stegani (1678-1777); Antonio Trentanove worked as a plasterer and plasticist. In 1798 the Order of Servites was suppressed and the convent passed to the Dominicans who had been transferred from their convent San Cataldo. The Dominicans brought many works of art belonging to their previous headquarters but their order was revoked in 1799. Since 1806 the church has been a parish of Santa Maria in Corte. In 1885 the parish priest Don Ugo Maccolini established the Pious Work of the Rosary and thanks to the funds collected with it, he was able to reconstruct the façade of the church built in 1894 to a design by Eng. Giuseppe Urbani (1861-1937), rebuild the upper part of the bell tower and decorated the interior of the church with gilding made by Luigi Samoggia from Bologna.

 

 

Salva

Salva

Salva

Salva

Salva

Salva